Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Digital Divide

I feel torn about the One Laptop Per Child project. I think that the concept is innovative and a fantastic way to narrow the technological differences and socio economic hardships that people in third world countries face. Porush's Law "Participating in the newest communications technologies becomes compulsory if you wish to remain part of the culture" provides a valid argument for the OLPC project as it has been proven time and time again throughout the history of technology that people adapt and incorporate technological advances into everyday life. Although it is the last part of his theory that I have trouble with; part of the culture. Lifestyles in developing countries and most Western countries are two different extremes; one is absorbed in and surrounded by technology on a daily basis and the other barely knows what it means. I didn't end up keeping a log on how much I use technology over a day but I know its a lot. I don't have wireless in my flat but that doesn't stop me checking my emails at the library, cellpphone useage-rather substantial (although I'm hardly a yupi phone freak) and television - the bain of my life. I watch far too much tv. I'm actually glad I didnt't keep a log, it would have been far to depressing! The point I'm trying to make is that our needs are polar opposites to that of a person living in poverty, therefore does Porush's Law really apply in this instance? My initial reaction is to say no - the essential provisions to live are what children in these countries need from people that are better off. However up until now, such a project has not been attempted and there has been minimal progression in breaking the proverty cycle to date. In the global information economy that we currently live in, bringing technology into the lives of young people could make a serious impact on the long term effects of poverty and make a change for the better. There are ofcourse a few flaws in the project; one of which is a lack of teachers, as the project is non profit, noone can stay and teach the basics of the XO laptop as there is no pay involved. This can prove somewhat challenging to maintaining the interest of young users, although children are quick to pick up new things and learning is all part of the process. After having a squiz on the net and thinking about our lecture I do agree that OLPC is a new and exciting way to teach the underprivelledged. There are different needs that they require such as food and water which are ofcourse a priority, but OLPC is taking a different course of action which could have rewarding long term benefits in their bid to bridge the digital divide.

No comments: